Monday, November 22, 2010

Triggering My Olfactory Memory



My grandmother died when I was still in India studying... that seemed ages ago. But I was home for the funeral so I did have my goodbyes with her.

I haven't thought of her for a long long time but recently, from a chanced encounter I was reminded of her. Tuk Cu used to apply a certain kind of hair oil. I don't exactly remember the name but I know the bottle and the smell. A few days ago, I saw the bottle in Mydin. I clutched it close to me and purchased it even though I don't use any hair oil. Immediately open the bottle at home.....and the smell took me back to the times when I followed my grandmother around visiting her children. I was practically raised by her in my early years because my parents stayed with her during their early part of their marriage. Then when my parents moved away, I still stayed with her. Sadly, I can't recollect events when I was with her, but I do remember her smell....and this particular hair oil have her smell. The smell gives me comfort and happiness. I love Tuk Cu dearly and today I missed her. Wish she could be here to see me happy, because I know Tuk Cu would have love to see me happy.

5 comments:

maizikeem said...

and she loved the mamee snack!I miss her too.

Unknown said...

She is tne reason I love mamee too

maizikeem said...

lets post this dura...10 things u remember about Tok CU..we have 2 already:
1.Minya rambut zam zam
2.Mamee
3.Sirih

Unknown said...

10 Things I remember about Tuk Cu:
1.Minyak rambut zam zam
2.Mamee
3.Sirih
4.Selalu bagi duit poket bagi anak2 dan cucu bila dapat duit dari anak2 yg lain....recycle money!
5.Mengaji selepas sembahtang Maghrib

maizikeem said...

1.Minyak rambut zam zam
2.Mamee
3.Sirih
4.Selalu bagi duit poket bagi anak2 dan cucu bila dapat duit dari anak2 yg lain....recycle money!
5.Mengaji selepas sembahtang Maghrib
6.kopi sejuk mcm ayah
7.bedak sejuk...

rindunyaaa...