Saturday, May 03, 2008

Foreign relations

A few weeks ago my work place was visited by a group of US/UK based non-profitable organization, aiming at forging a working relationship in terms of training, exchanging expertise and improving our working techniques. I, unofficially and accidentally got roped in as part of the organizing committee.
I laboured in preparing the proper cases for us to present to them....and I quietly grumbled at these extra duties that has been given to me.As if I don't have enough work to do.Not only I have to search for these cases, I have to make repeated phone calls to people that still live in the stone ages where they don't believe in telephones, thus making my work ten-fold harder. Then I have to prepare the work sheets so that they can be presented properly, I have to make sure they are call in at the right time, prepare a place for them in the ward... and above all make sure they are all prep for our foreign friends. But little did I realised at this point of time that all these effort could be so worth while, rewarding, life changing experienced.
These foreigners, each an expert in their own fields, not only shared their technical skills and modern method for peanuts, they also reminded me of lessons which I could not learned from the text books. The finer arts of medicine....committment to the job, empathy to the patience and family, honesty in doing your best. Characters that should have been compulsory when venturing into this field. I had these when I first started out. Didn't loose all of it along the way but I know the passion to healed do waned and withered.... but once in a while, a wake up call is needed to put me back in my spot. It took these people from outside... foreigners.... to show me that I should be kinder to my fellow Malaysians in their time of need and grief.
I should grumbled less, work honestly, empathized more with my patience.... try to make their time in the hospital more bearable. Being sick is already an unimaginable tortureand ordeal... I am there to help, not blamed.

No comments: