Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Big Happy Green Elephant


I love fine dining,especially trying out new places to eat. I am quite adventurous in trying new things to satisfy my palate... sometimes it work and sometimes it can be disastrous. Unlike a friend of mine who always order spagehetti bolognaise wherever she goes... I am the one who would choose the dishes that I never heard of.... or any dishes that can catch my eyes with catchy names.
So we went to a place called Ali Yaa that served Sri Lankan dishes. I had no expectations at all.... just thought it would be fun to eat in a place that don't cook a patte placed between 2 buns in less then 2 minutes.... or in a place where I don't have to queue with a tray... I was excited to be served.
The place had a very cozy ambience, friendly and witty waiters.... and a menu that tickles my funny bone silly. They named a simple vegetable Bryani - The Happy Big Green Elephant. It caught my eyes instantly so I had to try it. I was not disappointed. It didnt look at all like a happy elephant but it was tasty and I soon forget that it has no meat at all. Even their rasam was good.... a simple tamarind broth made regal with an addition of crab... something that I enjoy to the last spoonful. We top it all of with payassam(hope I spell it right)....
One think for sure... being adventurous with food has its rewards.... last night I hit the jackpot. Just have to tell myself to stay away from my weighing scale for few weeks....at least till I burned all the the fat I consumed last night.

No comments: