Thursday, September 23, 2010

Lost

Today I lost a patient. Code "Blue" was called at 10.50 am from the emergency room - CODE BLUE, Emergency Department, Block B, Paediatrics!!!!! and we all rushed there. By the time I reached the emergency, they were resuscitating her. Since I had no role in the resuscitation, I went to look at the mother... and immediately recognized her. My heart sank. Questions was running through my head...I knew I discharged her a day before but did I miss something?
1 year old Norsazrianna, a Down Syndrome from Beufort Sabah with Congenitally Corrected Transposition of Great Arteries and Pulmonary Atresia. She underwent a shunt surgery a week ago and was discharged home yesterday. Her mother brought her back to IJN this morning, when she didn't stop crying for almost an hour. But by the time they arrived in emergency, Norsazrianna had stopped breathing. I scan through her record and didn't find anything amidst. Mother was almost hysterical saying Norsazrianna didn't stopped crying since 9 am. But by the time her cousin brought them to IJN, it was already too late.
My colleagues worked on our patient for half an hour more, but we soon realized she can't be brought back. Death was pronounced at 12.10 pm. I was chosen to break the news to the mother.... what a horrible task and I hate doing this. Right before my eyes, I saw the mother slipped away into her own world where Norsazrianna is still alive and well. It broke my heart.....
I sat with the mother till she left at 3.30 pm. Arranging the body to be sent back to Sabah was another task. But Norsazrianna is already in a good place. My concern is with the mother who had lost everything. I wish I could have done more.....

1 comment:

maizikeem said...

so sad...

Yesterday I received an SMS from my old best friend Rehan. His wife is in SJMC going through a biopsy...suspect tumor.Then today morning he sms me again, doc says its cancer & its critical. I dont know what to do, feeling sad and plan to meet him after zuhur.