Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Story Of Us



Just came back from dinner in Raintree, guests of Adlin & Mel who just got inducted into the prestigious club. It was a black-tie affair so I put a bit of effort in dressing up. Turned out it was not that hard. Anyway, it was fun to dressed up and go for dinner once in a while. Mel was lovely as usual and the men were sharp in their suits. Dinner was delectable and we were entertained by a duo band which played my favourite genre....swings and jazz. All in all it was a lovely affair. We picked Aiman up afterwards and after dropping Ted off for a meeting, Aiman & I went back to Setapak. Aiman was animated in the car, and he lifted my mood a bit.





Now I am sitting in the apartment, blogging while HBO is showing the movie The Story Of Us starring Bruce Willis and Michelle Pfeiffer. I love this movie. Directed by Rob Reiner and it tells the story of a couple who had been married for over 15 years. It is told from both perspectives and how their relationship had evolved. Parts that I like most are the ritual they created to start a conversation...to talked about the Highs and the Lows of their days. What a genius idea to start a conversation going. It gave each one of them to be the talker as well as a listener.

The trailer

Of course the movie is about the ups and downs of a marriage and how at a breaking point, it was saved. But then again it is a feel good movie and it has to have a happy ending. But it gave me such a great feeling knowing that any marriage would have its up and downs. It all boils down of how much you want it to work. If you are willing to go back to the basic of it all, and why you married that man in the first place, reminding yourself of all the great qualities and the reason why you married him in the first place, any marriage could be save.
 
Stop and listen....talk about your grievances.... tolerate the flaws...accept the shortcomings....and most of all respect the person next to you as a partner..... part of the recipe of a long lasting marriage. Maybe there are more but my marriage is only 15 months old and I know there are a lot more coming. I am here for the long run & I wish to be reminded of the good things when I don't  feel appreciated...or as if I am taken for granted ....or when I think I was not heard nor love enough. This is the reason for this blog. The story of us is yet to be written but it is a work in progress. This blog is just a reminder of how I should be feeling when I feel the "lows" more then the "highs".

No comments: