Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Life's Lesson Learned The Hard Way.....


Ibu has been unwell for the past 3 weeks. She lost her apppetite, refused to eat, feeling nausea and at times vomitted. The first few days when these symptoms appeared, I concluded that it is just a stomach flu. I was having it, so was my niece. I blamed the trip to Mersing and said it would resolved in few days. While my niece and I recovered a few days later, Ibu's symptoms worsened. She hasn't eaten a proper meal for almost a week and she weakens with every second. Since she saw her Cardiologist few days to this, I naturally assumed that it was nothing major....so I just started her on some antibiotics and anti emetics. Still the symptoms persist.

This bugs is a tough one, I thought..... or maybe something else. Something more psychological then physical. Maybe she is depressed and seeking some attentions. Ever since I moved to KL, I know Ibu is a bit upset and disappointed. Now all her children are far....and Ayah is always busy with golf. I thought she was ok about it....but what if she's not? Just to "humour" her, I brought her in for some tests.... frustratingly enough, all was normal. In fact here heart rate(HR) was amazingly normal at 60 beat per minute. I am saying amazing because Ibu's "normal heart rate" is above 100.... Looking back at this moment, I can't help but cursing myself for not seeing it. That was the sign.... the low HR. And now she has a new symptoms....blurry visions. Why I didn't pick it up then!!!!!! So Stupid!!!!!!

Anyway....few days later(which was yesterday), it occured to me to discussed the symptoms with a friend who knows more about adult medicine then me. We went through her symptoms and he asked me if Ibu is on Digoxin.Then I found out that Ibu IS on Digoxin....and then it all make sense. Rushed her to the Seremban A&E, asked help from a doctor that used to work with me, he took her blood and redo her ECG which almost confirm my suspicions. Her blood level of Digoxin was at a toxic level!!!!!

In a way I was relieved we found the root of the problems... now she is on her way to recovery. I wished I figured this out sooner.... but I guess it is better then never.

What did I learned from all of this????
1. I still don't know everything. I am grateful for friends who do....
2. Be kind to other people all the time because you never know when you will need their help. As in my case... I am grateful to Dr.Jay and Dr. Henning cause they helped my mom.... more then I did.
3. Ibu is a lot stronger mentally then we give her credit for.... if she is sick, this means she is REALLY sick.

2 comments:

sista said...

I hope your mom is feeling better.

Unknown said...

Tx dear. She is much much much better now. I am soooo relief.