Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa.... A Disappointment


I was very excited about Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa, an epic movie about a descendant of Alexander the Great who finally found home. Sounds enticing, doesn't it? Watching the trailer and listening to the soundtrack did. Like a slice of 4 layered chocolate cake, when you are having a chocolate craving! I bought the ticket online after an on call day that was so tiring, I felt I would not survive the post call day. But I did, knowing that I would finally get to see a movie locally made but with an international budget and technology, not to forget an almost international casts of great Shakespearean actors.

But alas I was a bit wee disappointed. Even though Rahman-Hughes played the character well, I thought the character Merong was a bit unbelievable. In fact the storyline was lame. A wayward seaman who purpose in life was to deflowered every maiden he sets his eyes on, suddenly turned noble and trustworthy to help a Roman prince find his bride? The screenplay was weak but due to the strong casting, I could only say that the movie was OK.

Fortunately, the movie was saved by great CGI effect and set design. Most of the costume looked superbly designed and made, except for Datuk Rahim Razali's unrealistic 'mop' that were placed precariously on his head. The CGI would have been perfect if only they were strict with details (noticed the still palm trees during the thunder storm) The soundtrack in Malay was great too but honestly, the English version sounds like a cut and pasted lyrics of a bad rock songs.

Anyway, overall the project was a good try to create a globally accepted movie full of international standard special effects. It was not bad but then again it is definitely not great! The Malaysian movie makers have a long way to go before they can actually satisfied me. But I heard great reviews from many friends....fortunately, I am accustomed to being the minority.

No comments: