Friday, April 09, 2010

Flight or Fight

Today I practice one of the few things I learned from my lovable Teddy. He told me that sometimes when face with people that irritates him, he would just turn around and walk away. They are not worth the anxiety to fight with.

So today,at work while receiving a new patient from Serdang Hospital, I asked the accompanying doctor the patient's history, which is a standard procedure when admitting a new patient. The doctor in an irritating tone suddenly asked me how come I didn't know the patient I am receiving as the patient had been referred earlier and started explaining that she only accompany the patient. The nerve of the stupid woman! It is a must for a doctor to actually know the patient's history when transferring him/her, so I was just practicing the standard procedure. I myself had transferred thousand of patients and made sure I at least know the history.

In my mind, I thought I could argue and lecture this stupid woman about being a caring responsible doctor or I could do what Ted would do. I decided to do the latter. I stared at her for the longest time, to maintain my composure. I then turned and walked away towards the counter to get the folder. Read the letter to established the necessary information. I then walked back to the anxious parents and in my friendly calm professional tone, spoke to the them and explained what we are planning for their child. I then proceed to examine my new patient, totally and visibly ignoring the idiot doctor. I threw a few question about the patient and only respond to the accompanying nurse, making sure that I ignore the doctor again. At the end, I walked away without even looking at the bitch. The way I see it, if she decided to be invisible to her patient, I might as well treat her with similar courtesy.

As they left the ward, the idiot decided to thank me. You can guess what I did.... I just ignored her and pretended I didn't hear her. Somehow I felt better doing that. Ted had the right idea when confronted with idiots..... they are not worth the time nor the energy. It is much better to walk away. When you choose to fight, it is better to pick one that matters. In this case, the so-called doctor does not matter.

I never thought I could use these 2 words in the same sentence.... but that is why they have such term as OXYMORON....I just coined a new oxymoron.... STUPID DOCTOR!!!!!!!

No comments: