Saturday, April 17, 2010

Ibu's 63rd


15th April 2010..... Ibu turned 63.
It falls on a "malam Jumaat" & she decided the best way to celebrate it is by having a "doa selamat" and treat the surau's people. She told me this few weeks ago & I decided to take leave for it... just because.....
Ted & I arrived early afternoon. Had a big feast of Negeri's food in the Seremban R&R before arriving home. Had a chat with Ibu & Ayah then started on my fruit salad, at Ibu's request. She loves my fruit salad & I am more then happy to make it for her. Helped her out a bit preparing the drinks then made the garlic toast for the beef stew I cooked up earlier the night before.
After the prayer, the feast began and everybody seemed to be pleased with Ibu's choice of nasi lemak & sambal sotong. The food itself was quite simple but made to perfection.... just like Ibu. She had been working hard cleaning the surau for this night. Ibu has always been like this....things have to be perfect, just the way she sees it, regardless of how tired and sick she is. I always had problems with this as I hate being boss around to do chores. But as the years passed and after the training in Asiaworks, I realised where she is coming from. She did all that out of love and there is nothing wrong in that.
We had a good chat with Uncle Ghaffar afterwards.... made me miss Mamah.Woke up pretty late the next day but we enjoyed a late breakfast with Ibu & Ayah. Ibu was very chatty with Ted which made me love him even more... he knows how to be with Ibu in the most purest form. Ibu is not the type that can have conversation, especially with someone new, but with Ted, she seemed comfortable. I helped Ibu clean up the kitchen and everything seemed good before we left.
As we drove back to KL, Ted mention how unwell Ibu looks. I can see it too. She had an IJN appointment a day before and I know the real situation. Ibu's palpitation is not getting better and she is feeling the effect. My heart made a silent prayer that what I know will not be true but as a doctor, I know better. I just hope that she will have a few more great years so that we can have a few more great days like today.....just a few more if not a lot.
Just like her orchids, Ibu is beautiful in the most unassuming unique ways. They never become the center piece but not just add colours to the bouquet but bring all the flowers together harmoniously like a glue...just like Ibu in our lives. Their beauty last longer then most flower and some are even difficult to bloom. But once they do....they do bring the sort of happiness in a quiet way for a long long time.... just like Ibu.

No comments: