Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Welcoming Ramadhan 1431 MH








A few days before 1st Ramadhan, Melor had a bit of celebration lunch. It was also to marked the day when 1 of our long staying patient(Odysseus) discharged from the ward. We would have all sorts of reason to celebrate and what better way then to celebrate a patients recovery and the coming of Ramadhan.

On another note, for the past 3 years, I have been celebrating the coming of Ramadhan in IJN. I guess it is just my luck that I have to be on call the night before and bersahur with the nurses.


It is actually quite easy, I was woken up for an update around 4 am and decided to start the sahur. I was not sure what time is Imsak so decided to sahur after making some not so life threatening decision. Anyway, as luck would have it, it was the same time as the sahur food was sent to Melor. Every year without fail, Balqis will supply food for bersahur and berbuka in Melor Ward. It is mainly for the patients and the guardian but they gave extra for the staff too. So it turned out I didn't have much problem looking for what to eat.

I am usually quite lazy to eat,especially when I am sleepy. Ibu always complaint how difficult it is to wake me up every year. But now that I am matured, I see the relevance and importance of waking up for a quick meal during Ramadhan. It is not only to prepare your body for starvation the whole day, but also to make sure that we wake up for the morning prayer. I guess, you do need to have something to start the day....for the body, mind and soul.

I called Ted around 5 am to make sure he wakes up too. I guess my responsibility as a wife should not stop just because he is far away. But I was quite surprise too see myself thinking about him too even when we are apart....just to make sure that he had something before Imsak. My nurturing side is growing I guess.

Somehow this year of fasting came to me with a bit of insights of how I should do more in terms of my relationship with my Creator. I am blessed but sometimes I do feel that I am not grateful enough. It is a month of reflection and soul searching which I always take for granted.  I do pray that this year would be different. Yes it is a time for abstinence, but also a time to be grateful of the abundance that are given  to me....I pray that my family and friends will be able to  go through this month with the full intention of what it really was meant for and that all are able to reap the reward they deserved. I pray for forgiveness and the patience to go through this month that only God could provide. But most of all I pray for my soul to be healed so that I could be more of a servant to Him, then I ever did.

No comments: