Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Finding Lost Memories

One good thing about Facebook is finding long lost friends. Within 2 months, I caught up with friends which I haven't seen nor spoken to in over 2 decades. They found me in Facebook.
The disadvantages of growing up as a police man's child was that we moved a lot, every 2 years. So I never stayed long enough in any school to make a long lasting friendship. Back then, I didn't see the importance of keeping in touch. I never thought that anybody would ever want to stay friends with me. The surprising parts are that how on earth do these people remember me.

I used to think that I am so obscure... that I am invinsible. Nobody ever noticed me. But surprisingly they do. They found me and spoke to me as if we never been apart. These friends made me feel special. We had somehow shared a short moments together a life time ago and that it mattered to them. Somehow I was engraved in their memories. Old feelings come flashing back and I am 12,13, 16 and 17 again.

I was 12 and in KKB. We took a trip to Subang Airport. I failed to remember what we could have learned but what I do remember was that this was the first major school trip I ever taken. It was fun to be in the bus with my friends Yang and Syurina.





This was taken in 1986...when wearing skirts in school was still fashionable, for me. We were just messing with a camera and my girlfriends and I thought picture near the steps to the Scout House would be great. Lynda, Ros, Sharina, Yan...these were my closest girls then. The closest I ever get to have BFF back then. I remember having a huge crush on this Chinese senior from the computer club. Funny that I remember him but can't remember his name.





Our Form 1 class photo. What I remember most is Kocok. A fellow classmate as well as my neighbour in the Maktab Polis. I remembered him on his bicycle...making a very dangerous downhill turn towards his home. Always see him coming back to school. Think I had a crush on him at one point. He never knew.






We moved to Seremban when I was 15. I remember resenting my parents so much for uprooting us.... taking me away from friends I was growing attached to. Back then I never knew that in this new school King George V, I would make friends with some of the most incredible people. I would find my new best friend Zuraini who taught me that femininity doesn't mean being weak. I became close to Rizal who made me see that we can be close despite being different like day & night (he likes war stories and I don't). Thanks to Anu who showed me that being a bookworm doesn't mean that you should be an introvert.Thanks to Sushila & Sharina who made me feel that I belong in a new place.... they took me in when I first move there. I remembered the boys I had crushed on....oh well...always have a few of them at that age.

KGV brought back a lot of great memories, good and bad. I cherished all of them . I am so grateful to those friends that made me feel special by remembering me..... taking me back into their hearts and life even though we have been apart.

No comments: