Sunday, March 14, 2010

In Memory of Abang Azmi

In my selfishness of being engross with my own life and my upcoming birthday, today I was hit with a news that brought me back to the people that I care and love.
I lost one of my dearest friend and senior today. Abang Jeffri called around 8 pm and told me of Abang Azmi's demised. It was a bit of a shock as he is only a few years older than me. I knew he has heart failure, I visited him in Tawakal last year and I knew he was quite unwell... but I never realize he was going to go so soon. But then again... death do come unexpectedly. Its just the way it is, isn't it? We would lead different sort of life if we knew when our times are up.
Abang Azmi was one of my senior in Manipal. When we first arrived in India, it was a bit of a shock. First of all, we were far from home, far from the protections of our family. We landed in a foreign country that seemed hostile and different. Not just the people but the weather and the place. Everything looked so....backward, lacking any modern facilities.
We were greeted by 10 Malay seniors who has been there for the last 2 years under Petronas sponsor. They were cheerful and helpful.... help all of us settled in and made sure we lack of nothing.
Abang Azmi & Kak Lin were like parents figure to us.... especially to me, Zila, Mus & Nizam. They took us under their wings and made us miss home less. Abang Azmi was the soft spoken one, always asked if we were OK. Invited us to his house a few times that first month and bring us around the place. I remembered him on his big bike...as he was a big man. His size was mirrored by his heart. Even when things got hard when our group started to split apart, Abang Azmi & Kak Lin was always understanding.... supported us despite the back stabbing among our peers.
Back here, we hardly keep in touch but they were the only seniors that I do keep in touch with. Their big heart spilled over even though we had come home....
Death do come unexpectedly and we should never take what we have in this life for granted. We should say thank you when it is due to the people that matters when we have the chance.... when we still can.

I will miss you... I only wish that God will repay your kindness in afterlife as I never had a chance to do it in this life.RIP....

No comments: