Thursday, September 29, 2011

Time Traveler's Wife

I started reading again. It was one of my favourite things to do when I was young. I was a veracious reader and constantly has my nose in between pages of a novel or an encyclopaedia or a magazine (days before internet was famous)



Anyway, I recently finished The Time Traveler's Wife written by Audrey Niffenegger. Published in 2005 and was made into a motion picture 4 years later. I actually wanted to watch the movie first but got tired of missing it in Astro, so I bought the book few months ago and only started reading it 3 weeks ago.

The book tackle the common topics of love, relationships and the struggle of holding on to it. Pretty common but what was different was the arrangement of the events, unlike story with flashbacks. Chronologically it was haphazard and at times I was confused while trying to follow the storyline but I think it was written well enough so that you are engaged in every moment. I was taken back and forth through the lives of Henry and Clare...and even though the story seemed to jump from here to there, I was never really lost. Their love story seemed normal...about wanting and longings and dreams.... but the struggled are exclusively theirs.

It has been a while since I felt engrossed in wanting to be a part of a story. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a love story. I haven't seen the movie but I am sure I would just adore it.


Love After Love

The time will come
when, with elation
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self,
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart,
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes.
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life

- Derek Walcott

The movie trailer 

No comments: